Dokument potwierdzający zawarcie umowy franciszkanów z władzami miasta Braniewa w 1301 r. w sprawie zmiany lokalizacji klasztoru
AbstractThe subject of this study is the agreement between the Franciscans and the City of Braniewo from April 28, 1301, regarding the changing of the location of the monastery which was hitherto known only from the study by Eugen Brachvogel. Leonhard Lemmens’s register of sources on the history of the old Saxon province of the Franciscans and the Warmian Diplomatic Codex both fail to mention it. Today, the contents of the document are known from the copy drawn up at the end of the 16th century and currently stored in the Etats‑Ministerium collection in the Prussian Privy State Archives in Berlin‑Dahlem (Geheimes Staatsarchiv Preussischer Kulturbesitz). The document provides important information helpful in reconstructing the dispute between the city and the Franciscans as well as in identifying the subsequent locations of the monastery. The Franciscans came to Braniewo due to the activities of the Warmian bishop Henry I Fleming in 1296. Several years later, a conflict arose etween the monastery and the city. On April 14 in Elbląg and April 20, 1301, in Braniewo, negotiations were held to resolve the matter. According to the agreement, the Franciscans gave up a parcel in the city and in return received another one, located north from the city, near the river Pasłęka. It was decided, moreover, that the city would build a gate and a bridge above the moat which would connect the monastery with the city. The dispute between the city and the Franciscans also became the source of the legend about the allegedly illegal destruction of the monastery in the city by the citizens or the Teutonic Order. The 1301 agreement turned out to be short‑lived and only the third location of the monastery proved to be the final one. On February 20, 1330, it was confirmed that the Franciscan monastery was moved back to the city. This decision was made due to the danger it would pose if its edifices were seized by enemy forces attempting to storm the city.
|Other language title versions||The document confirming the agreement between the Franciscans and the City of Braniewo from 1301 regarding the changing of the monastery's location|
|Journal series||Studia z Dziejów Średniowiecza, ISSN 2084-4492, (B 9 pkt)|
|Publication size in sheets||0.5|
|Keywords in English||Order of Friars Minor (Franciscans), medieval Prussia, Braniewo (Braunsberg), Teutonic Order|
|License||Repository; published final; ; with publication|
|Score||= 9.0, 18-03-2020, ArticleFromJournal|
|Licencja||Utwór jest udostępniany na licencji Creative Commons Uznanie autorstwa 4.0 Międzynarodowe (CC BY 4.0) https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/|
* presented citation count is obtained through Internet information analysis and it is close to the number calculated by the Publish or Perish system.